Buzz Skull . Welcome to the Brutal Buzz, I am IndieVisible and will be your host.

Friday, February 7, 2014

16 Things We Learned About The Vampire Academy Series From Author Richelle Mead

We spoke with Richelle Mead, author of the wildly popular Vampire Academy series, and here are some deets she dished out.


Richelle got the idea for the Vampire Academy series in college.


Richelle got the idea for the Vampire Academy series in college.


How did you get the idea for this story, and what was the inspiration?


Richelle Mead: There's no one real source for it, it was kind of a coming together of a lot of different elements. I had taken Eastern European mythology classes in college and there were a lot of great Russian/Romanian vampire stories. That was kind of where I found the Moroi and Strigoi story and then I turned that into my own world. That was one element of it. Another is that I had just really wanted to write a young heroine like Rose who was so funky and in your face and fearless. Sometimes too fearless, but who had the potential to transform throughout the series. So I've always wanted to tell a story like that, and when I decided to pick up on the Romanian vampire myth, it just seemed like a natural idea to merge the two and make that the backdrop of the story.


Sullivan and Partners


Rose wasn't based off anyone Richelle knows.


Rose wasn't based off anyone Richelle knows.


Where did the character Rose come from? Was she based on anyone?


RM: Nope, she was just someone I wanted to write. You know, people say, "Oh, are you like Rose?" and if anything, I'm the opposite of Rose; I'm a much more cautious thinking person. Whereas Rose, you know, she'll act first, ask questions later, and I just really wanted to write someone like that who was so spunky and bold and brave and follow her transformation. Despite her being so outgoing and fearless, it can sometimes get her into trouble and so throughout the series she needs to learn how to temper that and mature, and that's a fun journey to do.


How about Lissa? Is she based on anyone?


RM: Nope. I don't base my characters off of anyone, I'm pretty sure you'll lose friends that way because they're never going to be happy with what you do to their characters. Lissa is from my head as well, she's kind of a counterbalance to Rose, a calming influence, and I was really fascinated by the whole bodyguard thing combined with the bond and how it can enhance their friendship, and that helps me create their characters.


Laurie Sparham/The Weinstein Company


The ending scene is her favorite part of the book and the movie.


The ending scene is her favorite part of the book and the movie.


What was your favorite scene to write about in the first book?


RM: Probably the whole ending sequence, which is a series of scenes, is my favorite. The endings are always my favorite when I'm writing a book. That's what everything is building towards, all the clues, all the momentum, and so when I get to write that it's really gratifying and it usually goes really fast, especially in comparison to the rest of the book.


Is that what you're looking forward to most in the movie? Also, have you seen the movie?


RM: Yes, I've seen a nearly finished version of it, not the final, but pretty close. The ending was what I was definitely looking forward to, and I love what they did with that. They helped resolve all the main action points, they tweaked a few things, which made it better on the screen and more fun to watch. So overall, I'm really excited about that.


The Weinstein Company / bugaboo121.tumblr.com


Richelle was on set for Rose and Dimitri's first confrontation.


Richelle was on set for Rose and Dimitri's first confrontation.


Were you on set for the movie at all?


RM: I was on set for about two days. They filmed it in London and I live in Seattle with small children, so I couldn't spend a lot of time over there, but I did go for a couple of days and see some scenes with the cast and it was definitely a lot of fun.


What scenes did you see?


RM: I saw Christian using fire magic in class, although of course there was no fire because they add that with CGI after, but it was a lot of fun to see the person he set on fire pretending to be on fire when there was no actual flames. The other scene I saw was an early scene where Rose and Dimitri have their first confrontation, so that was a big action sub-sequence I actually got to witness, which was pretty cool. They were in full stunt mode with harnesses and gear and all kinds of things there.


That must be so fun to watch everything come to life.


RM: Yeah, definitely. They do so many takes and there's so much detail into it when they're filming, and it's amazing to see what took three hours of filming pushed down into one minute of a scene, but that's what it takes — you have to put a lot of time into it.


Laurie Sparham/The Weinstein Company




View Entire List ›




via IFTTT Click Here to meet women in your area right now online!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics