Buzz Skull . Welcome to the Brutal Buzz, I am IndieVisible and will be your host.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Obama: If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon

obama-martin

Sanford, Florida (CNN) -- President Barack Obama spoke out publicly Friday for the first time on the growing controversy over the shooting of an unarmed African-American teenager in Florida, saying that the incident requires national "soul-searching."

"When I think about this boy, I think about my own kids," Obama told reporters in response to a question. "And I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this and that everybody pulls together -- federal, state and local -- to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened."

Trayvon Martin, 17, died February 26. Police say he was shot by a neighborhood watch volunteer in Sanford, Florida, who said he was acting in self-defense. Martin was unarmed, carrying a bag of Skittles candy and an iced tea, according to police.

Although a grand jury is scheduled to convene April 10 to look into the case, authorities have declined to arrest the volunteer, George Zimmerman, sparking a national debate over Florida's "stand your ground" deadly force law amid concerns about racial profiling.  [full story]

I agree with much of what Obama said about this tragic incident, however I’m not so sure his son would look like Trayvon Martin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics